The original design was relatively simple, with a neutral background and plain red lettering. In 1914, the company adopted a more active, eye-catching package featuring white and green stripes and a distinctive design element called a Maltese Cross.
After World War II, the company radically redesigned the package again, for the first time, using a bright yellow background with the name "Juicy Fruit" between two stylized red V's, or chevrons.
The double chevrons were meant to extend the famous "Wrigley arrow" motif to a brand that had not previously incorporated an arrow. This strengthened the already significant consumer association between Wrigley's chewing gum brands and the arrow, or spear, symbol, first used on packages of Wrigley's Spearmint in 1893.